JXN Water crews will be doing work on West Fortification Street between Woodrow Wilson Avenue and Martin Luther King Jr. Drive starting today. This will cause road closures and detours for an estimated two months during construction starting sometime between Friday, August 4 and Monday, August 7.
The following roads will be closed while crews work on the project:
- West Fortification Street, between Woodrow Wilson Avenue and Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
- North Prentiss Street, between Capers Street and West Fortification
- Longino Street, between Capers Street and Campbell Street
- The intersection of West Fortification and Watson Street
The recommended detour for northbound traffic is to use Bailey Avenue to West Monument Street to West Capitol Street then go to Parkside Place to connect to Bullard Street and vice versa for southbound traffic. View a map of detours and road closures for the project online:
Customers can call 601-500-5200 to ask any questions about the project or how their commute may change during construction.
This project supports efforts to improve water service to South Jackson and has the following infrastructure benefits for JXN Water customers in central Jackson neighborhoods:
- Point repairs to existing leaks west of Prentiss Street
- A 20” inch main replacement from Prentiss Street to Palmyra Street
- Repairs to a long-standing leak near Town Creek
- Boring for a new 20” crossing under the railroad at Thompson Street/MMC Materials concrete yard
- Repairs to a collapsed sewer main on Prentiss Street
- A street reconstruction at the Prentiss and Fortification intersection